Turmeric seems to be the buzz word around town with golden lattes and infusions on the menu at cafes and showing up on Instagram feeds around the place…
Lisa Theodore, our in house Yogi from @Yogadept, has a little more info on what this superfood has to offer!
Image from http://www.tumericlife.com.au
Turmeric has long been used to flavour many Indian dishes as well as prescribed medicinally in Ayurveda (the ancient sister science to Yoga). More recently it has been proven to have strong anti inflammatory properties (amongst a host of other benefits) via the active compound curcumin.
It is this anti inflammatory nature that we try and harness with the consumption of turmeric, both for the healing qualities for our digestive organs/gut health as well as the support to inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, eczema and psoriasis which can be exacerbated by the cool winter weather conditions.
Turmeric can be taken easily in supplement form (capsule) or added to many different meals, like eggs, rice, bone broth, soups and stews.
Try this delicious infusion that is the perfect alternative to your afternoon caffeine or sugar hit.
Golden Mylk Latte
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated turmeric root (or 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder)
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of black pepper
- 250ml of coconut milk (I love the cold pressed, 100% natural, unsweetened version by Inside Out)
- * You can use any kind of milk that you prefer
- Gently heat up the coconut milk in a small pot on the stove until warm, then add turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and black pepper, stirring gently. Allow to simmer for up to a minute without boiling.
- Pour into your favourite mug adding a dash of raw honey if desired and a sprinkle of cinnamon or raw cacao on the top.
***Remember to always add black pepper to your turmeric recipes – studies have shown that the active ingredient piperine increases the bio availability (the absorption into the body) of curcumin by 2000% (1)
Image Courtesy of http://www.notey.com
If you don’t want to make your own, drop in to our Wholefoods Dept in Potts Point and try our version – it’s delicious!!